FEMA is now receiving close scrutiny, and the qualifications of personnel that fill critical leadership positions. Here is a list of some of the people that fill these positions (from the FEMA website), and a yea or nea as to whether their professional background would be, in our opinion, adequate to emergency managment at such an important level. Keep in mind that this is not a measure of leadership ability.
- Michael Brown, Undesecretary for Emergency Preparedness: Nea (politics)
- James Rhode, Chief of Staff: Nea (politics)
- Kenneth Burris, Jr., Acting Director of Ops: Yea (firefighting & EM)
- Edward Buikema, Acting Director of Response: Yea (police & EM)
- Daniel Craig, Director of Recovery Division: Nea (lobbyist)
Our conclusion is not as unanimous as that of the MSM: some critical positions are filled by people with inadequate resumes, others appeared to have strong experience in emergency management.