Rush Limbaugh commented on a recent suggestion by Mort Kondracke for McCain to choose Colin Powell as his running mate (as quoted from Limbaugh's transcript):
KONDRACKE: Two new McCain veep ideas. First, he should offer the vice presidency to Colin Powell, who may well not take it. If not Powell, then Christie Todd Whitman, former governor of New Jersey. Rush Limbaugh will go Krakatoa, but independents will like it, women will like it, and so will African-Americans, the whole -- the whole package.
RUSH: Right, so let's not pick somebody for their quality and their qualifications and how decent they are and what kind of president they might make, Mort. No, no, no, no! Let's pick somebody that reshapes the Republican Party as just a bunch of milquetoasts. Let's do that. This is where the Republican Party is headed...
Colin Powell a Milquetoast? Colin Powell unqualified? Let's remind Rush of Powell's resume:
- Commission 2nd Lt. ROTC
- US Army Airborne/Ranger
- Military Advisor to ARVN
- Battalion Exec in 23rd Infantry, second tour of Vietnam
- Awarded Purple Heart and Bronze Star
- Commander 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry
- Commander 2nd Brigade, 101st Airborne
- White House Fellow, 1972
- Senior Military Advisor to SECDEF, 1977-86
- National Security Advisor, 1987-1989
- Chairman JCS 1989-1993
- Secretary of State 2001-2004
Don't be ridiculous, Rush.