Deaddrifts endorses Senator John McCain for the Presidency of the United States.
- Senator McCain has proven leadership on the critical issues that are facing the United States and the free peoples of the world, with a comprehensive and mature understanding of the problems and advocating solutions based on sound conservative principles:
- He has extensive foreign policy and military affairs experience and his instincts have been proven sound on the War in Iraq and the struggle against Islamofascism. There is no other candidate for President, Republican or Democrat, that has a more thorough understanding of this most critical issue that will face the civilized world for the forseeable future.
- His positions on national and global security are tempered by an understanding of the United States' unique role as the voice for human rights in the world.
- His record on the dignity and the sanctity of human life is exceptional. He does not grandstand with "faith issues" unlike some of the other candidates.
- He has been a consistent critic of runaway government spending, and has probably been the most effective conservative voice against "earmarks" and the other fiscal shenaningans committed by both Republican and Democrat congressional leaderships. He has been a consistent opponent of excessive, growth-stunting taxation, and has advocated tax relief - with accompanying fiscal restraint by the government.
- He is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution.
- He has shown the political courage to learn from missteps, such as the recent ill-fated immigration reform effort. He has acknowleded the lack of trust that the people have in the federal government to competently secure the borders while providing a orderly, fair, and cautious transition of tens of millions of illegal aliens to legal status. He has changed his position on this contentious issue, calling for the securing of borders as a necessary first step.
- He has advocated innovation and free-market solutions in public education.
- He has helped to restore common-sense, enviromental stewarship back to the Republican party, in the spirit of Theodore Roosevelt.
- He has consistently demonstrated remarkable candor and non-partisan honesty in addressing these and other issues.
We will continue to comment on the presidential race with objectivity, candor, and goodwill. But when we vote in the Michigan Republican presidential primary, we will cast our vote for John McCain.