Friday, February 22, 2008

Worse Than Wrong.

Many of the left-wing hacks point to the "on the record" source for the NYT's McCain smearticle, John Weaver, as the smoking gun that proves Mac's ethical and personal malfeasance. Here's Weaver's statement to the WaPo's "The Fix" political blog:

The New York Times asked for a formal interview and I said no and asked for written questions. The Times knew of my meeting with Ms. Iseman, from sources they didn't identify to me, and asked me about that meeting. I did not inform Senator McCain that I asked for a meeting with Ms. Iseman. Her comments, which had gotten back to some of us, that she had strong ties to the Commerce Committee and his staff were wrong and harmful and I so informed her and asked her to stop with these comments and to not be involved in the campaign. Nothing more and nothing less. I responded to the Times on the record about a meeting they already knew about. The campaign received a copy of my response to the Times the same day, which was in late December.

From the day I first approached John about running for President in 1997 and through today, I have always wanted John to be president. The country needs him at this perilous time. From the moment I left the campaign until today, not one day --not one --has gone by that I haven't reactively or pro-actively talked with the campaign leadership, with state leadership about how the campaign and how to win. To suggest anything else is wrong, a lie and meant to do nothing but harm.


Smoking gun or empty water pistol? These hacks know Weaver's statement but continue to spin the "on the record" source malarkey.

No comments: