- 2008: receipts = $2288.1 outlays = $2703.8 surplus (deficit) = $(415.7)
- 2009: receipts = $1899.0 outlays = $3173.4 surplus (deficit) = $(1274.4)
- 2010: receipts = $1927.9 outlays = $3081.0 surplus (deficit) = $(1153.0)
- 2011: receipts = $1998.7 outlays = $3126.3 surplus (deficit) = $(1125.6)
- 2012: receipts = $2089.4 outlays = $3212.5 surplus (deficit) = $(1123.1)
- 2013: receipts = $2409.1 outlays = $3157.4 surplus (deficit) = $(748.3)
This is why, the humble opinion of this correspondent, the Administration's claim that "we've cut over two trillion dollars from the deficit" over the next ten years through a "balanced" approach is just so much malarkey. Or, if we may be as bold to state ("truth to power" as the Left loves to claim), a lie.
We do not blame the continuing death spiral of increasing spending only on the White House, although they do enjoy proposing more and more programs to cure this ill and that; no Congress cannot be persuaded to abandon the mathematics of More Spending = Reelection, and nor perhaps can the People face weaning from the Government Teat. As Uncle Billy said to George Bailey, "this is a pickle, George, this is a pickle!" But shall we at least start by being honest about what are doing?